My first real sewing project

Recently i mentioned that I bought a new sewing machine (finally, after months of back and forth). I bought a Babylock Grace and I love it. It is computerized, but it still allows you to run mostly mechanically if you want. I prefer to use the foot pedal because it feels more real, somehow, then just pushing “play” and letting the machine do all its work. That being said, the computer function allows you to do some really awesome stuff, inlcluding something like 25 stitch types.

Then one day last week i was wandering around Ben Franklin looking for some fabric options. They have some free patterns available, so i picked one up and decided to give it a go. I had seen my friend Stacy make these plush blocks with little ribbon pulls for the baby, and i thought this pattern would be similar and fun for a little one. And i know just the little girl to receive such a treat! So, one night i decided to give it a go. It only took about an hour and a half and it turned out pretty well.

The one change i made to the pattern was to omit the “crinkle” portion. Firstly, i didn’t have any cellophane handy. Wanting to preserve the washability, i didn’t want to use paper. Secondly, the crinkle toys are pretty cute and fun for baby but they also crinkle, a lot, for mom. So, i thought, maybe best not to go out of my way to purchase cellophane. This prototype would just be a little carry along blanket that Madeleine could pick up, toss around, and play peekaboo with.

Pattern: Crinkle Carry Along

Finished size: 14″ x 16″

Materials:

2 pieces coordinating fabric 14.5″ x 16.5″ each. I used one piece soft linen and one piece flannel for different feel on either side

20-24 Assorted ribbon pieces (3″ – 4″  each)

Cellophane if you choose

Instructions:

(1/4″ seam allowance throughout)

1. Fold ribbon pieces in half and pin in place, matching raw edges, around top piece. Baste ribbon to top (making sure your baste stich is more than the 1/4″ seam allowance from the edge)

2. Lay front/back piece right sides together and then lay cellophane down. Pin and stitch around leaving a 4″ opening for turning.

3. Turn piece rights side out, press, and sew opening shut.

Look at that babylock go!

4. Topstitch around. I used a fun stitch that comes pre-programmed on my machine. I call it the amoeba stitch, but its just a little whimsical stitch about 1/4″ wide which gives a nice bit of substance to the pattern.

Thats it! Easy peasy!

And look: she likes it!

This is the first REAL thing i’ve sewn that wasn’t fixing a hole or just playing around. It was nice to have such a cute little gal to make it for, and to see her little eyes light up when she touched it for the first time. I have a couple apron patterns i’m going to tackle next and off i go!

Facebook Twitter Email Pinterest

6 thoughts on “My first real sewing project

  1. That is adorable (and so is that baby). Thanks for the tutorial–I think this will be perfect for a baby gift.

    Your sewing skills look great–if you are up for another project, I saw a skirt on SabbeSpot blog that I’m looking to try. May be fun for you!

    1. Thanks for the heads up on that blog – that skirt is cute and so are her kid kitchens that she makes from craigslist finds. I think i will check out that skirt pattern, especially after a weekend like we just had!

Leave a Reply